Results date has been changed to Late 2024

1 Like

Ughhhhhhhhh :unamused:

Whyyyy tho

Expected, 3k projectsā€¦

2 Likes

Good decision by Google, It is difficult to analyze too many projects in such a short period.

2 Likes

Does ā€˜late 2024ā€™ mean until December 31st? Does it mean we canā€™t modify our application until December 31st? This is very frustrating.

1 Like

Is there something stopping you from branching your project?

Is it possible for Google to provide guidance via email on these matters? The volume of entries situation certainly qualifies under ā€˜right to modifyā€™ in the contest rules, but a mass email with a couple sentences explaining changes would be very much appreciated. Regards to your efforts.

Can I update an app that has already been launched? I understand I canā€™t update the submitted source code, but I believe updating the app would provide a better user experience.

The more time they take to judge, the better, as it will allow for a fairer competition. Iā€™m confident it wonā€™t take too long anyway, because although there are 3,000 projects, many are spam, and others can be easily dismissed for being blatantly impractical or simply wrappers, like pure assistants, quiz makers, ā€¦

Lets have patience!

5 Likes

I will not say that many are spam because you cannot do much with Gemini API. Either you can generate text or images. You need to be creative to bring something new. But yes, there are a lot of apps that even app stores reject nowadays because there is nothing new or too many people create these kinds of apps such as DietPlanning, Fitness, Quiz makers and even learning apps have nothing new, they just generate texts. It is easy for judges to filter apps. Even good apps are those that are already developed by companies and submitted to the competition. One drawback of those apps is that they are either incomplete or do not fulfill the pointing criteria.

do you have the link to the rules page?

In another topic it was confirmed that if the app is in a public source repository you can keep updating the source but the judging will be based on the snapshot on Aug 12th. Iā€™m actively developing it since the end of the hackathon because the project is more than just a hackathon submission.

Mine is on GitHub and I went ahead and I provide a link at the bottom of the README to that snapshot to help the judges: GitHub - CsabaConsulting/InspectorGadgetApp: Open Multi-Modal Personal Assistant

Iā€™m waiting though because Iā€™ll move the repo to itā€™s own organization to be together with other bits and pieces: Open Multi-Modal Personal Assistant Ā· GitHub

The biggest question is what if someone has a deployment at any Play Store / App Store or on the web but they want to keep updating it. My app is more capable now, I submitted an APK, and it would not be fair to compete with todayā€™s state which is more capable. Fortunately the APK is a snapshot. But others may stuck with deployments?

Many are fucking copy&paste of google examples

Like wtf, I saw like 20 times those ā€œmake photo of food and get recipe recommendationsā€ - like cool idea, but thats the fucking google gemini sample. if any of these wins, then imma complain like I never did before.

2 Likes

Google judges are experts, donā€™t worry.

I guess you saw those in the peopleā€™s choice voting? I wanna see some

Bud, I think youā€™re a little pissed off lmao. Chill out.

Iā€™m not sure why the link is so hard to find, but I did copy the document on day 1 of the competition: Gemini API Developer Rules and Restrictions as of August 1 2024 - Google Docs

Just vote for mine then: Google Zen  |  Gemini API Developer Competition  |  Google AI for Developers