Issue summary
I have recently lost access to both Gemini and Google AI Studio, although I was previously able to use Google AI Studio normally.
The problems began around the period of the Gemini 4 / Argon announcements (late September to early October 2026). I cannot confirm whether these events are related.
The most concerning observation is that Gemini works when I am signed out, but immediately displays a region restriction message after I sign in with my Google account.
Google AI Studio also fails, although its behavior changes depending on the network connection.
1. Environment
-
Device: Windows PC, Google Chrome
-
Additional test: Tablet with the same Google account
-
VPN/proxy client: GeekSpeed v1.3.0
-
Proxy configuration: Global mode, Japanese exit nodes
-
Google account type: Personal account
-
Account age information: Over 18, based on the date of birth in Google Account settings
-
Account-associated country (Google Terms): Taiwan
-
Google Payments profile country: Japan
I have not completed the optional age-verification process. I manually opened the verification page, which offered government ID and selfie verification. I have not received an explicit notice requiring verification.
2. Gemini behavior
When signed out:
I can open gemini.google.com and access the Gemini interface.
When signed in:
The page immediately displays:
“Gemini is currently not supported in your region. Stay tuned!”
The same account also encounters the region restriction on my tablet.
Japan and Taiwan are both listed as supported regions for Gemini, which makes this behavior unexpected.
3. Google AI Studio behavior
I was previously able to access Google AI Studio normally.
I tested two different Japanese proxy exit nodes.
First Japanese IP — SoftBank network
Google AI Studio loaded its interface but displayed:
An unknown error occurred
Chrome DevTools showed repeated failed requests:
POST https://waa-pa.clients6.google.com/$rpc/google.internal.waa.v1.Waa/Create
Error:
net::ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
Another console message reported:
Failed to load user preferences from backend
RpcError: Network error, try again.
These requests did not return a visible HTTP error status such as 403.
Second Japanese IP — KAGOYA JAPAN hosting network
After switching to another Japanese exit IP, Google AI Studio redirected me to:
“Available regions for Google AI Studio and Gemini API”
The page lists regional restrictions, age requirements, and account verification as possible reasons. It does not identify which condition caused the redirect.
4. Inconsistent Google IP geolocation
I found another unusual result while investigating the issue.
Both Japanese IP addresses were identified as being in Japan by IPinfo:
-
126.36.224.xxx— SoftBank, Kanagawa, Japan -
133.18.105.xxx— KAGOYA JAPAN, Kyoto, Japan
However, Gmail’s “Last account activity” page recorded both connections as originating from China, even though it recorded the same IP addresses I was using.
Meanwhile, Google Account’s device activity page showed my recent Windows session activity in Kanagawa, Japan.
This suggests inconsistent geographic location information across Google services.
I understand that IP-based geolocation is approximate and that different services may use different signals. I cannot determine whether this inconsistency is directly related to the Gemini and AI Studio access problems.
5. Troubleshooting already performed
-
Tested Gemini with and without signing in.
-
Tested using Chrome Incognito mode.
-
Reproduced the signed-in Gemini issue on another device.
-
Switched GeekSpeed from automatic routing to global proxy mode.
-
Tested two different Japanese IP addresses.
-
Confirmed the IP addresses used by Gmail.
-
Inspected Google AI Studio’s failed requests using Chrome DevTools.
-
Checked the Google Account-associated region and Google Payments profile country.
-
Confirmed that the account date of birth indicates an age over 18.
I have avoided repeatedly changing account settings or submitting identity documents without knowing the cause.
6. Questions for the Google team
Could someone from the Google team help clarify the following?
-
Can inconsistent IP geolocation across Google services affect Gemini or AI Studio account eligibility?
-
Is there a known issue where an account can access Gemini while signed out but receives a region restriction after signing in?
-
Could the
Waa/Createconnection failures be related to region or account eligibility checks, or should they be investigated as a separate network issue? -
Is additional age verification required for AI Studio even when the account’s registered date of birth indicates the user is over 18?
-
Is there a way to request an account eligibility review without repeatedly signing in, switching IPs, or changing payment information?
I can provide screenshots, timestamps, redacted network logs, and the exact IP addresses through an appropriate private support channel if necessary.
Any guidance on identifying the underlying cause would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!



