Feature Request: Native Dhivehi (Maldives) Voice Support in Gemini Live

Hello Google Gemini Team and Community,

I am an independent developer from the Maldives, and I am reaching out with a sincere request for help with Dhivehi (ދިވެހި) voice support in Gemini Live.

I have been developing Yaumiyya , an application that uses Google’s Gemini technology for Dhivehi and English transcription, meeting documentation, and AI-assisted features.

I am now working toward a real-time conversational Dhivehi AI assistant. Gemini Live has tremendous potential for this, but I am struggling with one significant issue: the spoken Dhivehi pronunciation, accent, and rhythm do not consistently sound natural to a native Maldivian speaker.

I understand that Dhivehi is a relatively low-resource language and that adding high-quality speech support involves substantial research and engineering. However, this is an important accessibility challenge for our language community.

I have already started exploring alternative solutions, including Mozilla Common Voice’s Dhivehi speech dataset and training a dedicated Dhivehi TTS model. Before investing heavily in that direction, I wanted to ask whether Google could offer any technical guidance or support.

My questions are:

  1. Is natural Dhivehi speech generation currently supported, planned, or being evaluated for the Gemini Live API?

  2. Can Gemini Live use a native Dhivehi speaker’s reference recording to improve pronunciation or accent through custom voice configuration?

  3. Is there any supported way to fine-tune or adapt Gemini’s speech output for Dhivehi?

  4. Can I receive Gemini Live’s response as streaming text and pass it to my own Dhivehi TTS engine, without generating or paying for an unused Gemini voice?

  5. Is there a Google research, developer relations, or language-inclusion team that might be able to advise or collaborate on improving Dhivehi speech technology?

I am willing to contribute test recordings, evaluate pronunciation quality, and help with Dhivehi language testing if that would be useful.

For many of us in the Maldives, the ability to converse with AI naturally in Dhivehi would be genuinely meaningful. I would be extremely grateful for any technical direction, even if the requested features are not currently supported.

Thank you for your time and for the work you are doing to make AI more accessible.

Atoll Mind
Maldives