Hi Google AI team,
I am receiving a location-related error when calling the Gemini API directly from a Tencent Cloud server physically located in Seoul, South Korea.
Environment:
- Server location: Seoul, South Korea
- Public outbound IPv4: 43.155.205.245
- IPinfo reports the IP location as KR / Seoul.
- Model: gemini-3.8-flash
- Endpoint: https://generativelanguage.googleapis.com/v1beta/models/gemini-3.8-flash:generateContent
- Request type: non-streaming, concurrency 1
- Test date: October 4, 2026 (Asia/Shanghai, UTC+8)
- The API key was created on October 4, 2026.
The requests were sent directly from the server using a Python HTTP client with proxies disabled. The minimal prompt only asked the model to return a fixed JSON response.
All 7 attempts returned HTTP 400 with the same response:
{
“error”: {
“code”: 400,
“message”: “User location is not supported for the API use.”,
“status”: “FAILED_PRECONDITION”
}
}
South Korea is listed as a supported region:
I understand that third-party IP geolocation does not necessarily match Google’s internal classification. IP misclassification is a possibility, but I have not confirmed it as the root cause.
Could you please help clarify:
- Is this source IP classified by Google as being in an unsupported region?
- Could an account or project eligibility requirement produce this same error?
- What is the appropriate process to request a review of this IP’s location classification?
I can provide sanitized request timestamps and response headers if needed. No API key or private credentials are included in this post.
Thank you.