Gemini blocks specific language (which it knows, kannada)

If a prompt has any language other than English, after one letter, it stops by the message “content not permitted”. I have tried for many languages, specifically more problem with kannada

Hi @POORNIMA

If you’re getting this even when safety settings to block few or block none, then it’s likely because of a safeguard from google’s end kicking in.

I’d tag it with feedback

1 Like

If you test with the API, instead of through AI Studio, you will get the specific block. I expect you will see that the finishReason code is OTHER.

You are almost certainly right that Gemini understands kannada. It isn’t on the list, however: Gemini API  |  Google for Developers

Languages not listed are subject to that behavior, getting blocked. We have seen the behavior with Latin and several Indian-subcontinent regional languages, see Latin language generation seems to be censored?

I hope your comment receives more attention from Google than the previous posters did.

1 Like

@sps Yes, it had blocked the language from every model. I have even tried with Gemini 1.0, Gemini 1.5 Pro, but still has the same result.

I have not tested through API yet, will see soon and comment…