400 Gemini API returns “User location is not supported”

Subject: Gemini API suddenly returns 400 FAILED_PRECONDITION — “User location is not supported for the API use”

Hello,

I am developing an AI-powered legal assistant using the Gemini API and Supabase.

My API requests have recently started failing with the following error:

400 FAILED_PRECONDITION: User location is not supported for the API use.

The same Python script and VPN connection were working previously, but the error now occurs consistently. I have also tested VPN endpoints in Finland and the United States, with the same result.

Finland is listed as a supported region on the official Gemini API availability page.

I am particularly interested in using the gemini-embedding-2 model to generate embeddings for legal document search.

Could this be caused by an incorrect IP geolocation classification, a temporary issue with regional access checks, or another account or project restriction?

I would appreciate any advice on how to diagnose and resolve this issue.

Thank you.